Monday, January 19, 2009

She Wasn't Kidding About Iggy, However........

Here's a picture of our Iguana, Jigsaw/Iggy. He was about 5 years old in this picture and was quite large. Mother came to visit us for the summer and ended up staying longer due to terrible air quality in her city due to Florida being on fire! Mom brought her work with her and had a nice set-up in my family room, but she insisted that Iggy be caged, though I don't know why. We bought Iggy a nice big dog cage, but he could get his head through the bars. Mother did not like this, so every time his head poked through the bars, she used the broom to push him back into the cage.
I was an assistant manager at Dollar General and was the only one there this particular day. I was extremely busy at the register with a line of customers when the phone rang. I answered with my usual, "Thank you for calling Dollar General, how may I help you?" Mind you, I have customers I am checking out, when I hear this voice on the phone say, "We got us a sit-chee-a-shun here!" I was confused and didn't know who it was, so I said, "What?" "I say-ed, we got us a sit-chee-a-shun here!" I then realized that it was my mother. I know that when I busted up laughing, I blew spit towards the customer in front of me! The lady looked at me like I was crazy!
I asked my mother what was happening and she said that Iggy made it COMPLETELY out of the cage! I could hear the fear in her voice. This made me laugh harder! She was outside standing on my porch, afraid to go back into the house!!
After I caught my breath, I continued to check my customers out, phone on shoulder, while I told my mother to get the broom, open my daughters room and shoo him in there, as that was one of his favorite places. So I hear her get the broom and I heard her shooing Iggy to the room, and I heard her say, "Oh, hey, this is working. He's going quite easily into........AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa
(screaming bloody murder fading into the distance)aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...."
"MOM??????" I scream on the phone. "MOM? Are you there??????MOM???????What's happening?????" By this time, my customers are keenly interested in what's going on and if mom is okay. I told them she was babysitting my dinosaur and it got loose and she was trying to broom it into a bedroom when all I heard was screaming! You should have seen the looks I got!!!!
I know I was on that phone for 5 minutes with no noise from the other end. Finally I heard my all out of breath mother pick up the phone and say that she was okay, but that while shooing Iggy, he turned around, gave her the "evil eye" and came at her! That was it for me. I was laughing so hard that I was crying, bent over double, can't explain nothing to my customers, can't hold a conversation with my mother, drooling, snorting, hurting!!!!!! We all survived though. But mom made us cover up Iggy's cage with a heavy blanket when I went to work. :-)

1 comment: