For the life of me, I do not remember why my oldest son, who at that time was about 11 years old, was grounded and not allowed to go outside. He sat with me in the kitchen as I was preparing lunch when the phone rang. It was my mother. The area I was standing was at the top of the stairs that led to the laundry room downstairs, and there was a fence type railing to hold on to as you went downstairs. My phone was a wall phone with only so much cord, so I couldn't go far.
As I was carrying on a lively conversation with my mother, my son was looking out the window over the sink and noticed a rather large bug clinging to the screen of our deck. He became quite excited about it and was trying to get my attention to show me. I went as far as my phone cord would allow me to go to see the beast. My son went for the door and I hollered at him not to go out there because he was grounded. He went back to the window to watch this bug. The longer he looked, the more desirous it became to go outside and get a closer look. So, as I was deep into conversation and cooking lunch, he proceeded to sneak out the back door. I happened to look at the window just in time to see my son out on the deck, almost nose to nose with a big, ugly cicada, when the thing started to screech and fly at him, and his eyes bugged out, his screaching was louder than the cicada, and they both went in opposite directions! The cicada tried to fly out the door of the deck, which failed, and my son ran to the screen door, unable to open it because of sheer fright, so he tried to dig his way through it, all the time with the look of sheer fright and screaming louder than a tornado siren! There was nothing I could do! I was laughing so hard that I dropped the phone and was hanging with all my might onto the railing at the top of the stairs! This moment felt like it lasted about 10 minutes! Poor mom probably thought something terrible was happening, but when I was able to get back on the phone, I told her the whole story, laughing something terrible through it! I bet my son will listen to me next time I tell him to view a bug from the safety of inside the house!
Saturday, January 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment